Immediate Notify Plugin
This is a plugin that allows users to register to be immediately notified when topics or webs are modified.
Once the plugin is installed, users can register for notification in the WebImmediateNotify topics by including their username as an entry in a list. In order to recieve notifications, they must also configure their desired notification method. Since SMTP and Jabber are currently the only available methods, this consists of:
- Adding a line
" * Set IMMEDIATENOTIFYMETHOD = Jabber" (or "SMTP", respectively) to their topic.
- Adding a line
"Jabber: jabber_user@jabber_server.org" to their topic for notification per Jabber (no configuration is needed for SMTP).
ImmediateNotifyPlugin Global Settings
- One line description, shown in the TextFormattingRules topic:
- Set SHORTDESCRIPTION = Allows immediate notification of topic changes.
- Notification method configuration:
- Jabber method configuration:
- Set JABBER_USERNAME =
- Set JABBER_PASSWORD =
- Set JABBER_SERVER =
- Debug plugin: (See output in
Plugin Installation Instructions
You do not need to install anything on the browser to use this plugin. The following instructions are for the administrator who installs the plugin on the server where TWiki is running.
- Download the ZIP file and necessary patches from the Plugin web (see below)
- Patch your TWiki installation to add the new plugin hook:
- In the
lib/TWiki/ directory, run the command
patch < /path/to/afterSaveHandler.patch
- Patch the Net::Jabber Perl module.
- In the directory containing
Jabber.pm, run the command
patch < /path/to/net_jabber_taint_fix.patch
ImmediateNotifyPlugin.zip in your twiki installation directory. Content:
| File: || Description: |
| Plugin topic |
| Plugin topic repository |
| Plugin Perl module |
| Notification method Perl modules |
| Message templates for the notification methods |
- Set up notification methods
- Currently the only available methods are via SMTP and Jabber.
- The site's configuration is used - no additional configuration is needed.
- Set up a Jabber account for the wiki with a standard client.
- Set JABBER_USERNAME, JABBER_PASSWORD, and JABBER_SERVER in the plugin topic.
- Create a
WebImmediateNotify topic in each web for users to list their names in for notification.
Related Topics: TWikiPreferences
- 16 Mar 2003
Copyright © Fabio Vitali 2017 Last update of ImmediateNotifyPlugin on 06 Mar 2005 - 19:43 by FabioVitali